SCMEP offers a wide selection of training and courses. Funds may be available to cover a portion of the cost.
Additionally, most courses and training sessions can be delivered at your facility.
Contact us for additional information.
Please note, refunds will only be issued if a cancellation notice is received at least 24-hours in advance of the course.
The current training schedule is listed below. View a list of available offerings here.
May 26, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm$300
SMED (also known as Quick Changeover) began as a technique to reduce die press machines setup time. Today this tool is commonly used to reduce all types of machinery changeover time in any industry. The principles taught in this class will teach participants how to properly collect data of the current changeovers, analyze and prioritize opportunities for improvement, implement solutions, and document the improved process.
During the course, participants will learn about the main steps to conducting a SMED event, which include:
- Team Selection
- Measurement of Current Changeover
- Techniques & Strategies
- Data collection and analysis
- Identify Internal and External Elements
- Conversion of possible Internal Elements to External Elements
- Eliminate or Streamline all Elements
- Remove useless operations
- Simplify fittings, connections and the tightening process
- Suppress adjustments and trials
- Tool organization
- Documentation and Implementation
Participants will also participate in a hands-on simulation, where they will learn how to apply the tools and methodology to a simulated setup.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of Quick Changeover and Setup Reduction concepts and principles
- Know how each step of the Changeover Improvement Process contributes to setup reduction or elimination
- Document all the tasks or elements that make up an existing changeover process
- Apply the Single Minute Exchange of Die (SMED) system to analyze changeover tasks and identify improvements
- Implement Quick Changeover improvements and monitor results
- Develop a plan to standardize improvements