SCMEP offers a wide selection of training and courses. Funds may be available to cover a portion of the cost.
Additionally, most courses and training sessions can be delivered at your facility.
Contact us for additional information.
Please note, refunds will only be issued if a cancellation notice is received at least 24-hours in advance of the course.
The current training schedule is listed below. View a list of available offerings here.
Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T)
April 17, 9:00 am - April 19, 5:00 pm$1,200
GD&T is a tool that effectively communicates the design intent for manufacturing and inspection. It is governed by the technical standard ASME Y14.5M-2009. The course introduces participants to the GD&T methodology. The course provides a working knowledge of the correct interpretation and application of each symbol, general rules, the datum system, and ‘bonus’ tolerance and highlighting some of the changes in the updated Y14.5 standard. The material is reinforced with some practical exercises.
- Explain the benefits of geometric tolerancing
- Identify datum features and determine their order of precedence
- Identify and interpret each of the characteristic symbols
- Describe the material condition modifiers and how “bonus” tolerance occurs
- Correctly interpret GD&T feature control frames, and explain the impact on manufacturing
Introduction to GD&T
GD&T Definition and the Future
ASME Y14.5-2009 Structure
Lesson 1 – Dimensioning & Tolerancing
- Abbreviations, Terms and Concepts
- Dimensioning & Tolerancing standard practices
Lesson 2 – Tolerances of Form
- Straightness, Flatness, Circularity (Roundness) and Cylindricity
Lesson 3 – Tolerances of Orientation
- Parallelism, Perpendicularity, Angularity
Lesson 4 – Tolerances of Runout
- Circular Runout and Total Runout
Lesson 5 – Tolerances of Profile
- Profile of a Line and Profile of a Surface
Lesson 6 – Tolerances of Location
- Position, Concentricity and Symmetry
Lesson 7 – Tolerances of Location – Position
- Positional Tolerances with Bonus (MMC, LMC)
Lesson 8 – Tolerance of Location – Position (cont.)
- Composite Position / Positional Tolerance