SCMEP offers a wide selection of training and courses. Funds may be available to cover a portion of the cost.
Additionally, most courses and training sessions can be delivered at your facility.
Contact us for additional information.
Please note, refunds will only be issued if a cancellation notice is received at least 24-hours in advance of the course.
The current training schedule is listed below. View a list of available offerings here.
Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
December 2, 8:00 am - December 4, 4:00 pm$1,200
GD&T is a practical method for product definition that effectively communicates the design intent for manufacturing and quality verification. It is governed by the technical standard ASME Y14.5M-2018 and some other Y14 engineering product definition and related documentation practices. The course introduces participants to the GD&T method, provides a working knowledge of the correct interpretation and application of each symbol, general rules, the datum system, and ‘bonus’ tolerance and highlighting some of the changes in the updated Y14.5 standard. The material is reinforced with some practical exercises.
- Explain the benefits of geometric tolerancing
- Identify datum features and determine their order of precedence
- Identify and interpret each of the characteristic symbols
- Describe the material condition modifiers and how “bonus” tolerance occurs
- Correctly interpret GD&T feature control frames, and explain the impact on manufacturing
Introduction to GD&T
GD&T Definition and the Future
References – Precedence of Standards
ASME Y14.5-2018 Structure
Lesson 1 – Dimensioning & Tolerancing
- Fundamental Rules, Tolerancing Defaults, and Dimensioning Practices
- ASME Y14.8 – Castings, Forgings and Molded Parts
Lesson 2 – Tolerancing Interpretation & Material Condition
- Tolerancing Interpretation of Limits of Size and Material Condition Modifiers
- Rule #1 The Envelope Principle (Variations of Form)
- Rule #2 RFS and RMB Default
Lesson 3 – Symbology
Lesson 4 – Datums
- Datum Reference Frames
Lesson 5 – Tolerances of Form
- Straightness, Flatness, Circularity (Roundness) and Cylindricity
Lesson 6 – Orientation
- Angularity, Parallelism, Perpendicularity
Lesson 7 – Tolerances of Position
- Positional Tolerances
- Bonus (MMC, LMC)
- Composite Positional, Multiple Single-Segment Positional
Lesson 8 – Tolerance of Profile
- Profile of a Line, Profile of a Surface
Lesson 9 – Tolerance of Runout
- Circular Runout, Total Runout
- Principal Changes and Improvements from revision 2009
- MSA (Measurement System Analysis) connection with GD&T