SCMEP offers a wide selection of training and courses. Funds may be available to cover a portion of the cost.
Additionally, most courses and training sessions can be delivered at your facility.
Contact us for additional information.
Please note, refunds will only be issued if a cancellation notice is received at least 24-hours in advance of the course.
The current training schedule is listed below. View a list of available offerings here.
Introduction to 5S with Simulation
May 5, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm$300
The 5s seminar is a one-day, 7-hour, hands-on training that offers the participant the opportunity to experience how the 5s system reduces waste in areas of a simulated production facility. Participants learn the concepts of the 5s system and then apply them to transform a cluttered, disorganized production area into a clean, organized, and orderly workplace. This workshop is specially designed for groups of 4 to 8 people.
The Lean Tool of 5s is a system of tools designed to improve workplace organization, safety and standardization. The 5s system is an integral part of every company’s lean program and the initial lean tool that many companies begin their lean journey with because it offers immediate, visual results. Companies that implement 5s get the immediate benefit of improved housekeeping and employee morale but also get the more subtle benefits of improved quality and safety.
The primary elements of 5s are:
- Sort: through all items, tag and remove unneeded items
- Set in order: remaining items, set limits, create temporary location indicators
- Shine: clean everything and use cleaning as an inspection opportunity
- Standardize: the first 3s’s by implementing simple visual displays and controls
- Sustain: the gains through self-discipline, training, communication, and total employee involvement
- Improve workplace appearance
- Improve quality of work and environment
- Improve safety
- Achieve work standardization
- Reduce storage costs
- Reduce cycle time
- Reduce machine down time
- Boost employee morale